Hazmat Called to Fresno Business

July 26, 2008 12:00:00 AM PDT
An ammonia leak chased dozens of people out of a metal recycling center in Fresno County Saturday morning.Paramedics took four people to the hospital for breathing problems and chest pains. They also checked on dozens of people who evacuated the recycling center on Golden State.

Investigators say it looks like someone was scooping up metals with a machine, but he accidentally hit a valve on an ammonia tank. The 50-gallon tank started leaking, and the gas made at least six people sick before they cleared out.

Hazmat teams went in to figure out how to dispose of the gas.

The recycling center shut down while hazmat made sure the ammonia cleared out of the air.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

abc30 News Links:
Links to other news sections on our website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking News Alerts:
Click Here to Sign-Up for Breaking News E-Mail Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts in your email inbox.


Click Here to Sign-Up for Text Message Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts right on your cell phone.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Load Comments