Attic Fire Lead to Marijuana Bust

August 15, 2008 12:35:32 AM PDT
A small fire drew both firefighters and a narcotics team to a northwest Fresno neighborhood.Police officers pulled several burned marijuana plants and growing equipment out of the house.

They got called out to the house after firefighters put out a fire in the attic of the home and they spotted suspicious activity. Officers say the fire probably started because of a propane-fueled generator in the attic.

Sgt. Mike Oliver, Fresno Police Department: "I'm guessing that's what started the fire. It's an open-flamed device designed to create carbon dioxide because marijuana plants thrive on carbon dioxide."

One of the residents was burned when he tried to put out the fire by himself.

Police are now sending the case to prosecutors and they're also calling child protective services because kids lived at the home, right alongside the dangerous equipment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

abc30 News Links:
Links to other news sections on our website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking News Alerts:
Click Here to Sign-Up for Breaking News E-Mail Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts in your email inbox.


Click Here to Sign-Up for Text Message Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts right on your cell phone.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Load Comments