Restoring a Fresno Landmark

May 28, 2009 1:04:19 PM PDT
A small piece of one of Fresno's biggest losses is about to make a comeback. The structure that used to sit on top of the old county courthouse is about to be restored.The majestic Fresno County Courthouse first built in 1875 dominated downtown. At the peak of the dome, was the cupola. It was removed from the building in 1966, just before the courthouse was demolished.

The beautiful, ornate architectural marvel was taken down so an underground parking garage could be built for the new, space aged style courthouse building.

Just about the only thing left from the old courthouse, is the cupola. It's been sitting in a heavy equipment yard for decades.

Lennie Kavoian's father was friends with the owner of the demolition crew, and saved the cupola, for Lennie's Mom Rose.

The Kavoian family has donated the cupola to the Fresno County Historical Society, and they are planning to bring it back to life.

A crane will be brought in to move the old structure. It will be placed in a nearby warehouse, where noted architect Bill Patanude will oversee the restoration of this small but important piece of what was a Fresno landmark, demolished in the name of progress.

The Fresno Historical Society will be holding fundraisers and other events so the whole community can get involved in restoring this key piece of history.

      MORE LOCAL NEWS | TWEET@ABC30 | FREE ABC30 WIDGET
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
Breaking News E-Mail Alerts | Text Message Alerts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More News on abc30.com
California/State | National/World | Weather | Entertainment | Business | Politics | Sports | Health Watch | Consumer Watch | Mr. Food |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments