Mr. Food --This "N'awlins" inspired hearty one pot recipe for Shrimp Gumbo takes advantage of all the down-in-the-Bayou seasonings and flavors. Turn it into a seafood style gumbo by simply alternating the shrimp for other seafood or fish.
Cooking Time:?20 minIngredients
- 1/2?cup?(1 stick) butter
- 1 cup?chopped?onion
- 1 cup?sliced celery
- 1?medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon?chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons?all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon?chili powder
- 1 teaspoon?salt
- 2?(14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup?frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup?water
- 1 pound?large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery,?green?pepper, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, okra, and water and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink. Serve immediately.
Served over rice or with some crusty bread for dunking and you've got a complete meal.?