It happened just before 9pm at the Midtown Terrace Suites on Blodgett. Investigators said the old hotel has been converted to an apartment complex and caters to local veterans.
A caretaker said the victim -- a veteran in a wheelchair -- was fine around 7:30pm when she left to go home. Officials said he later put something in the toaster and fell asleep. The fire started and the man became trapped.
A neighbor -- also a veteran -- grabbed another tenant and a pizza delivery driver and rescued the victim, whose wheelchair got jammed between the furniture.
Authorities told us the victim had burns on his back, arms and legs.
At last check, he was listed in critical condition.
The fire was contained to just two apartments in the building. There were no other reports of injuries.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices