Central Fresno grass fire damages home

June 1, 2013 12:00:00 AM PDT
The Fresno Fire Department sent extra resources to protect crews from the heat on Saturday as they battled a house fire.

The flames started on a property next to a home at Fedora and College and first spread to the attic. A battalion chief at the scene said the house had significant damage, but no one was injured.

Witnesses reported hearing some type of pop or explosion just before the fire started, so investigators are now looking into whether fireworks or some other type of device may be to blame. They're also trying to track down a person seen leaving the area.

"There was one person who noted someone running away from scene prior to fire catching house on fire... something we're going to be looking into," said Ted Semonious, Fresno Fire Department.

The battalion chief said temperatures were already in the upper 90's by the time crews arrived at this fire. So an extra engine was on hand to provide support -- or rehab services -- to the firefighters as a precaution.

The fire displaced at least two people.


Load Comments