Barbecue flair-up causes Fresno County house fire

June 6, 2013 12:01:58 AM PDT
A barbecue sparked a fire that caused major damage to a Fresno County home Wednesday afternoon.

It happened in the area of Judy and Bellaire just before 12:30 p.m. Officials say flames from the barbecue flared up, and because an attic vent was directly above it, flames spread to that part of the home.

When fire officials arrived to the home, the roof was on fire, and they could see heavy smoke coming out of both ends. The fire caused devastating damage to the attic, but crews were able to salvage most of the residents' personal belongings.

"We have to breach the attic the fire was contained to the attic not living space so we have to use tools to open up holes to get to the fire itself," said Ryan Michaels, Calfire.

Everyone in the home at the time got out safely, including all of the family pets. But a firefighter received a shoulder injury during his firefighting efforts and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.


Load Comments