The Fresno Fire Department said the Carleton building is unsafe to be occupied until it has been inspected. The building is at Fulton and Dennett in Fresno's Tower District.
The second story ceiling came crashing down Saturday night in a stairwell. Emergency crews quickly evacuated the building, because part of the wall began to crack. An infant was taken to the hospital as a precaution because of the heavy cloud of dust.
" The building I believe was built back in 1920 so its very likely there is asbestos, the dust is through out the whole building so when we first arrived we could barely see each other through the dust, " Karey Wedemeyer from the Fresno Fire Department said.
Fire fighters helped the residents collect their belongings and pets from the building. A fax bus was brought in to keep the residents cool as the red cross worked to find them temporary housing.