Santa Ana attacks leave 2 injured; suspects sought

August 29, 2013 12:00:00 AM PDT
Authorities in Santa Ana are looking for the suspects who robbed and attacked two men earlier this month.

One of the victims, who only wanted to be identified as "Jose Luis," says he's scared. The 52-year-old recalls the morning of Aug. 18, when two men approached him near Forest and 1st streets as he walked to his bus stop to head to work as a restaurant cook.

"In English they say, 'Homie, give me the money.' In my pocket I got $26 I give you," the victim said.

Jose Luis says he handed over the $26, which was all he had. But they still beat him over the head with a wrench, severing his finger as he tried to protect himself. The victim says he begged them not to hit his head. He had suffered a stroke a few years ago.

That same morning, just three blocks away, police found a bloody scene. Police suspect the same two muggers attacked a 51-year-old man as he walked to his bus stop to head to work as a cook in Laguna Beach.

The man only wanted to be identified as "Pedro." He says two men said something he didn't understand. He started running but was beaten repeatedly over the head with a wrench until he blacked out.

Pedro says he lost two teeth and has multiple broken bones in his face. The suspects stole $700. It was money he was carrying to pay his rent and phone bill.

Both victims are telling their story in hopes that the suspects are caught before they harm anyone else.

"These are brutal people. These are people we want to put in jail," said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

The attacks happened so quickly that the victims could not provide a detailed description of the suspects. Police say they are looking for at least two men in connection with the attacks.

Anyone with information was asked to contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at 1-855-TIP-OCCS.


Load Comments