Firefighters went to a call about a small explosion at an apartment near Olive and Ninth. When they got there they found a man with burns to his arms and legs.
Police say Tommie Nellon, 28, was using butane gas to make a more potent form of marijuana called honey oil. The process caused the explosion.
"I thought our faces could have gotten blown off or something," said Destiny Godines.
Firefighters say a teenager and a six-year-old child were inside at the time. "Not only are they impacting their own health but the other people who lived in the apartments with them," said Battalion Chief, Lawrence French.
Over the weekend another honey oil explosion sent another person to the hospital with burns. Officers are seeing more people illegally create the drug recently.
"It's very flammable, very dangerous and I would say this is probably the third explosion I have been to in the last couple of weeks," said Lt. Phil Cooley.