FUSD and FTA may move into investigation

The FUSD and FTA may move into a fact-finding investigation after nearly 10 months of negotiations.
April 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM PDT
The Fresno Unified School District and a local teachers union may move into a fact-finding investigation after nearly 10 months of negotiations.

District administrators held a news conference on Monday to release a proposal that includes an 8-percent salary increase for teachers during the course of three years.

Superintendent Michael Hanson says the district's latest proposal is a final olive branch to the Fresno Teachers Association. But FTA President Eva Ruiz says teachers from all across the district aren't getting what they need.

"Our proposal has a mix of salary and supports for youth with new programs at the clip of about 60 percent going to salary and benefits, and the other 40 percent of the LCFF dollars going into further investments in students," said Hanson.

"The proposals that the district has brought forth, or what they presented in their press conference today, is nothing new to the teachers," said Ruiz.

The district's proposal also includes an additional 10-percent salary increase to teachers at 40 school sites with more days and longer hours.

Ruiz says the union does not plan to accept this latest proposal, and is waiting for the state to approve the fact-finding investigation, which is the next legal step in the negotiations.