VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) --A South Valley double murder suspect who's managed to avoid authorities for 26 years is now in custody.
Visalia police said Elio Benavente is responsible for two deadly stabbing's. The bodies were found near Murray and Willis Streets in April of 1989. He was questioned about the murders but left the Central Valley before he could be charged and has been on the run ever since.
"Numerous attempts of the last 26 years were made, or, attempted to locate Benavente but unsuccessful. In 2012, Visalia police detectives received an anonymous tip indicating that Benavente was residing in Mexico to avoid prosecution in the United states. Detectives then worked on developing leads to confirm the identity and location of Benavente in Mexico," said Jason Salazar, Visalia Police Chief.
Benavente was taken into custody last week and brought back to the United States.
Visalia authorities traveled to Texas, where Benavente was handed over to them Monday night.