FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --A Fresno man was severely burned in a "honey oil" explosion. It happened at his apartment on Ashlan Avenue near Millbrook Avenue on Tuesday.
Police say Erik Gregg was inside the bathroom of the apartment, extracting honey oil from marijuana when a flame from the water heater ignited the butane he was using and created an explosion. Lt. Joe Gomez said, "Didn't die but he easily could have died or killed somebody else here."
Moments later, firefighters showed up and Gregg was taken to the hospital. Hector Vasquez with the Fresno Fire Dept. said, "When we got here the fire was out and crews pretty much went into overhaul and found the smoldering spots up in the attic."
Police say Gregg was severely injured - more than 60-percent of his body was burned and his cat was also hurt, "The cat was singed up pretty good," Lt. Gomez added.
Animal control picked up the cat and rescued a dog from the home too.
Fernando Salas who shares a wall with Gregg says the explosion took out the plumbing and shut off his water. "I was checking everything, checking the bathroom, checked the sink, checked the walls, making sure everything is cool," Salas said.
He didn't find any damage on his side of the wall but the blast did shake him up. Salas said, "You live around people and you're messing around with everybody's lives."
Gregg is expected to be in the hospital for a while. His apartment will be boarded up and police say he'll be facing charges for animal cruelty, arson and drug manufacturing.