Justice Department cracks iPhone; withdraws legal action

In this July 27, 2014 file photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows Tashfeen Malik, left, and her husband, Syed Farook, at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago

The FBI says it successfully used a mysterious technique without Apple's help to break into an iPhone linked to the gunman in a California mass shooting.

The surprise development effectively ends a pitched court battle between Apple and the Obama administration.

The government told a federal court Monday without any details that it accessed data on gunman Syed Farook's iPhone and no longer requires Apple's assistance. Farook and his wife died in a gun battle with police after killing 14 people in San Bernardino, California, in December.

Apple did not immediately comment on the development.

A U.S. magistrate last month ordered Apple to provide the FBI with software to help it hack into Farook's work-issued iPhone. The order touched off a debate pitting digital privacy rights against national security concerns.
Related Topics:
newssan bernardino mass shootingiphoneterrorismFBI
(Copyright ©2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments
SAN BERNARDINO MASS SHOOTING
More san bernardino mass shooting

NEWS
More News

Top Stories
Show More