Makes 6 desserts for April Fools' Day
- 1 pkg. (15 oz.) refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz. ea.) vanilla or white chocolate instant pudding
- Milk to prepare pudding
- 6 yellow and 12 orange Starburst® candies
- 6 green Skittles® candies
- 1 banana
You will also need
6 Aluminum foil pot pie tin, 4 1/2" or Two 6" pie tins
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Unroll piecrust on your work area. Using the upside-down potpie tin as a guide, cut a circle of dough about . inch larger that the tin. Reroll scraps as needed. You will cut 3 circles from each crust.
- Crumple a piece of foil into a 1. in. ball and set into the potpie tin. Cover it with a layer of foil to create a smooth mound. Repeat with remaining tins.
- Lay a circle of crust atop each mound. Use the tines of a fork around the edge of the pie dough to crimp it. Gently poke a few holes in the crust.
- Whisk together the egg and the water to make an egg wash. Gently brush over each crust.
- Set the pie tins on a baking sheet and bake the crust for about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Prepare the pudding according to the package directions and refrigerate until time to assemble.
- Time to create the faux chicken and vegetables. To make the Starburst candies easier to work with, place them unwrapped on a paper plate and warm in the microwave just until they're slightly softened, about 12-15 seconds. (Once the candies are shaped, lay them on waxed paper, setting them apart from each other so they don't stick together.
Chicken: Peel the banana, dice into 1/4 in. pieces, and cut into small cubes.
Corn: Roll each yellow candy into 4 in. rope. Cut into . in. pieces and flatten one end to resemble corn.
Peas: Green skittles with "s" logo down
Carrots: Cut each orange candy into 4 squares.
- To assemble: Spoon about 2/3 cup of the pudding into each cooled pie tin. Add the candies/fruit to the pudding. Top with a pie crust.