FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --Your taste buds are in for a treat as the Fresno Grizzlies bring back one of the most popular events to hit Downtown Fresno.
The Fresno Tacos (formally the Fresno Grizzlies) are spicing things up this year by bringing back the Taco Truck Throwdown. This is the sixth year of the event, which now boasts 35 taco trucks.
In addition to sporting the famous taco jerseys, the team's new mascot is also changing to Cilantro Gomez.
El Mexicano is the only truck that has been at the Taco Throwdown every year. Based in Fowler, El Mexicano operates two trucks and a brick-and-mortar taqueria. It has been in business since 1982. The family originally had a taco truck in the location of their current taqueria at 2833 Manning Avenue, but bought the land and built a restaurant there.
El Mexicano is one of the most enthusiastic entrants in Taco Truck Throwdown, making its own T-shirts each year and bringing out a big crew of fans. El Mexicano also is a fixture at Fresno Grizzlies home pages, so hungry fans see them often at Chukchansi Park.
Taco Truck Throwdown event information:
- Thursday, August 18, 2016
- There will be roughly 35 Taco Trucks this year
- The event will be expanded to H Street with the increase in trucks, which will alleviate lines and waiting
- Fans can buy ticket vouchers than include admittance to the game, and tacos from the truck of their choice.
- Admittance begins at 4:30 for the event, game time is 7:05 p.m. Access to the part on H Street still requires a ticket, that area will just be an extension of the ballpark on that day.