NORTH FORK, Calif. (KFSN) --Mandatory evacuation orders remain in effect for one area of North Fork because the threat of dangerous flooding remains.
"I don't expect there'll be any new evacuations, but we're going to hold the one we have for now. And if the weather cooperates, probably in the next few days, we'll look at letting those folks back in their homes," said Sheriff Jay Varney, Madera County Sheriff's Department.
Multiple sheriff deputies have been there around the clock protecting the area since the first series of storms hit over the weekend.
"We have some deputies working overtime up there, and certainly the citizens on patrol, who are citizens who have been a huge help again like they are in any of these emergencies. And helping us with traffic or notifications and help with actually helping with monitoring with evacuation," said Varney.
Water flow was down Wednesday but officials said it was significantly higher than what we would see following a typical storm. That fact brought concerns that nearby Willow Creek will surge and overflow into Church Street.
The Madera County Sheriff's office will only allow families to return to their homes when the area is deemed safe
"Until we know for sure we don't put that word out. Because what happens once the rumor starts folks think they can go back and they get pretty frustrated when they show up and they can't," said Varney. "Just like with a fire, someone says hey your road is open and it was open for emergency services folks to go down. Folks come back to go to their homes and we have to tell them no you can't go back in there right now."
With no rain in the forecast this weekend, authorities are hoping to allow families back in their homes in the coming days.