Fire at Central Fresno assisted living center caused by potato chip bag being lit on fire

EMBED </>More Videos

Investigators said the fire started when the victim tried to open a bag of potato chips by lighting the bag on fire. (KFSN)

We now know the cause of a fire at an assisted living center in Central Fresno that left a man in critical condition. It happened Monday night at the Glen Agnes Elderly Housing Center.

Fresno firefighters said a man who lived there was injured when his mattress caught fire. But investigators said the fire started when the victim tried to open a bag of potato chips by lighting the bag on fire.

"Most people may not be aware but regular type potato chips they ignite very easily and very rapidly because of the oils," said Don Macalpine, Fresno Fire.

At this point, there is no word on the victim's condition.

Five other residents were displaced by the fire, but on- staff management was able to get them back into the building.

Related Topics:
newsfireelderlychipsfresnoFresno - Central
(Copyright ©2017 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments

FRESNO
More fresno

NEWS
More News

Top Stories
Show More