911 Tiger Attack Tapes Released

SAN FRANCISCO, CA The dispatcher told the young man that paramedics could not come to his aid until they could be sure they weren't in danger of being attacked themselves, according to the recording.

Either Paul or Kulbir Dhaliwal made the 911 call from outside a zoo cafe. Judging by the synopsis of the attacks given by police, the older brother, Kulbir, who was the last of the three victims, likely made the call.

"It's a matter of life and death!" the young man shouts minutes into the Dec. 25 call.

"I understand that, but at the same time we have to make sure the paramedics don't get chewed out, because if the paramedics get hurt then nobody's going to help you," the dispatcher replies.

Seconds later, the brother shouts, "My brother's about to die out here!"

The 911 dispatcher tells him to calm down before the frustrated caller asks, "Can you fly a helicopter out here? Because I don't see a (expletive) ambulance."

By the time the call heard on the nearly seven-minute recording begins, the escaped Siberian tiger already had killed the Dhaliwals' friend, 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr., outside the animal's enclosure and was creeping closer to the cafe.

"At the cafe, we have the tiger!" an officer shouts into his radio just after 5:27 p.m., according to a recording of police dispatch traffic, about four minutes after the call between the brother and the 911 dispatcher ends. "We have the tiger attacking the victim!"

Less than a minute later, another call comes over the radio to stop shooting.

"We have the cat. We shot the cat," an officer says. "The victim is being attended to."

The brothers suffered serious bite and claw wounds. Zoo officials say the tiger had climbed or jumped over the wall surrounding its pen and have acknowledged that the wall was 4 feet shorter than the recommended minimum.

A San Francisco Superior Court judge ruled Tuesday that police have the legal authority to examine cell phones and a car belonging to the Dhaliwal brothers in its criminal investigation. The items have been the focus of both police and city officials, who believe they could contain evidence that the victims provoked the tiger in the moments leading to the attack.

Mark Geragos, the attorney representing the brothers, has insisted they did not taunt the animal. He did not immediately return a call for comment late Tuesday.

A hearing on whether the city attorney's office may examine the items in a separate civil case was scheduled for Wednesday.

Geragos has said help did not arrive for more than 30 minutes after they first reported the attack. Zoo officials have said that zoo personnel behaved heroically.

The recordings also reveal disbelief among zoo employees about the escape.

An unidentified male zoo employee called 911 at 5:05 p.m. to relay a report from a female employee who encountered the frantic brothers outside the cafe.

The 911 call captured the conversation between the two employees.

"I don't know if they are on drugs or not," the woman is overheard speaking on his two-way radio. "They are screaming about an animal that has attacked them and there isn't an animal out. He is talking about a third person, but I don't see a third person."

The man then tries to relay her remarks, when the female employee interjects: "He is saying he got attacked by a lion." The man is heard on the 911 call, saying, "That is virtually impossible. ... I can't imagine how he could have possibly gotten attacked by a lion. He would have had to have gotten in. I just can't see it."

"I think this guy is on something. He is really agitated," the woman says.

"They don't know if he got attacked by a lion. They are both very agitated and they might be on drugs," the man tells the dispatcher.

At 5:10 p.m., five minutes after the first 911 call was made, word reaches the male employee that an animal was loose. He starts telling other visitors that they must leave the grounds immediately.

"We have a Code 1. They say they have a tiger out," he told the dispatcher.

The extent of Sousa's injuries became known at 5:15 p.m., when either a paramedic or another zoo employee is heard over the radio reporting a fatality. "This person needs help now," he said.

Michael Cardoza, a personal injury lawyer hired by Sousa's parents, said Tuesday that his clients had not yet listened to the recordings.

Cardoza said he was struck by how cogent the brother who made the 911 call sounded, despite his obvious terror and the initial incredulity of zoo employees.

"That is tantamount to me going up to a cop saying, 'There is a guy with a gun behind our building and he just shot somebody,' and the cop saying, 'Are you on drugs?"' Cardoza said. "Why don't you go check it out first, and then question the reliability of the people who are reporting it, especially when one of them is standing there bleeding?"

But zoo spokesman Sam Singer said the newly released tapes reinforced the zoo director's position that staff "acted heroically in guiding emergency responders to assist the two brothers, as well as to the body of Carlos Sousa Jr."

- Headlines at a glance

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.