Hotel fire causes minimun damage

March 26, 2008 9:21:34 AM PDT
A fire in the flue of a wood-burning pizza oven caused minimal damage at the El Dorado Hotel on the Sonoma Plaza this morning, Sonoma Valley Fire Department Division Chief Mark Freeman said this afternoon.

Freeman said the fire likely started when creosote in the flue system ignited. He said it was similar to fires from creosote build-up in chimneys in homes.

The 8:47 a.m. fire was contained to the flue and was controlled by 9:40 a.m., Freeman said. Guests at the hotel at 405 First St. West were evacuated as a precaution for less than an hour, Freeman said.