Thankfully, no lives were lost this weekend, but the Calwa neighborhood knows how devastating fires can be. Anna and Ruvi Escalante died two years ago after a fire raced through their Calwa home. The tragic loss still affects the small community. "That wasn't a fireworks, but nonetheless it was a fire. And we had the sense of neighbors getting involved in helping their neighbors out and rescuing that fire," said Bowman.
Navarro said he thanks God everyone made it out safe this weekend. Now he's hoping people will think twice about *where* they set off fireworks in the future, even if they're considered "safe and sane." "They don't light as high or fly as high, but they're just as deadly and dangerous. Especially in California. We live in such a dry area," said Navarro.
Since the deadly fire two years ago, Cal-Fire victims' mother have gone door to door throughout Calwa, installing smoke detectors. Two of them were installed in the home that burned this weekend.