Family Displaced By Christmas Fire

Clovis, CA, USA The fire broke out Thursday evening, on Rosebrook near Jefferson. Family members tell Action News it may have been caused by a candle left burning in a back bedroom.

Members of the family held onto their pets and wrapped themselves in blankets as they watched firefighters work to save their home. The family says they ran out of their house after smelling smoke and then seeing flames. Neighbor Enrique Gusman says he ran outside after hearing his dogs bark. "After I get out, I smelled it and I seen a lot of smoke," said Gusman.

Another neighbor, Maria Torres, says she saw fire coming out of a window. She said for a moment, it looked like the fire was going to spread even further. "I was thinking the fire was going to hop over to my neighbor's house, and it was kind of scary," said Torres.

Family members say there was a candle burning in the back bedroom where the fire began, but firefighters have not released an official cause just yet. As the investigation continues, neighbors are doing what they can to help. One brought the family a box filled with food and coffee, while others like Torres are vowing to do what they can. "We're just discussing maybe doing something for them, since it is Christmas. I mean, even if it wasn't… people's belongings, maybe they don't have something, and they're in need," said Torres.


abc30 News Links:
Links to other news sections on our website.


Breaking News Alerts:
Click Here to Sign-Up for Breaking News E-Mail Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts in your email inbox.

Click Here to Sign-Up for Text Message Alerts
Receive Breaking News alerts right on your cell phone.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.