80/20 Program

Fresno, CA                   |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

Herbert Curry has been laid off twice by the same construction company in the last five years ... he's hoping to find a job with a little more stability.

The 80/20 Program could provide the opportunity he needs to transition into a new career. The federal stimulus program is targeting businesses that need to hire new employees but can't afford it.

The incentive is substantial. The 80/20 Program will pay 80 percent of the cost to hire a new employee for a year ... including salary, training, insurance and even uniforms. The employer pays the remaining 20 percent. The employer cannot have laid off workers in the past 90-days ... and the new employee must be a CalWorks recipient.

Fresno solar company "Unlimited Energy" lost a lot of business when the housing market plunged ... but has started to make a slow recovery and plans to hire seven employees through the 80-20 Program.

Prospective employees will go through a screening process and must attend a weeklong training workshop ... where they brush up on their soft skills such as punctuality, and their ability to work in a team ... their future employer conducts the final interview.

Former waitress Tonia Morelli says she feels ready and excited about a new job ... and a new challenge.

Morelli said, "Definitely better prepared to go out and do the whole interview process ... and just a lot more confident I feel."

The hope is that by the end of the 12 month program ... the economy will have recovered enough so that the businesses will offer permanent jobs to the workers they hired through the 80-20 Program.

The goal of the program is to place 5,000 people in the next couple of the months.


Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
Breaking News E-Mail Alerts | Text Message Alerts
More News on abc30.com
California/State | National/World | Weather | Entertainment | Business | Politics | Sports | Health Watch | Consumer Watch | Mr. Food |

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.