Tahoe Girl Kidnapped in 1991 Found Alive

SACRAMENTO, Calif. ABC30 has learned the victim, Jaycee Lee Dugard, has been reunited with her mother at a private location in the Bay Area. Dugard was kidnapped when she was in 1991 when she was 11 years old. Her mother and stepfather are now living in Southern California.

FBI agents and El Dorado County Sheriff's Department investigators are going through a house on the 1,500 block of Walnut Avenue in Antioch looking for more evidence in the 1991 kidnapping. Dugard is now 29 years old.

A search warrant served at a home in Antioch on Wednesday, identifies Phillip Craig Garrido, 58, and Nancy Garrido, 55, as owners of the house. ABC30 has confirmed that the two are in Contra Costa County jail on a million dollars bail, charged with the kidnapping and rape of Dugard who was grabbed off the streets of South Lake Tahoe in 1991.

Witnesses say a man and woman were in the gray sedan that snatched her.

A neighbor says she bought business cards from Phillip Garrido.

"It's scary because I have lots of grandkids and we don't know what's going on down there. We just met the guy a couple of times. I felt kind of funny. Yeah, it's really scary to find out what's going on in your neighborhood," said neighbor Betty Unpingco.

But that neighbor says she never saw anyone but Garrido go in or out of the house. A source tells ABC30 that Garrido never let Dugard out of his sight. As far as how Dugard was finally discovered, a Concord police officer only says she was in a law enforcement building in Contra Costa County yesterday when she identified herself.

Sources tell ABC30 that the FBI agent assigned to the case in 1991 never gave up on it. It was a case that received intense publicity at the time.

"She is a pretty, young and innocent child and you may like her, but we like her too and it's time that she comes home to her family. Her sister has been asking for her and she needs to be with us," said Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, in 1991.

"I was down in the garage and this car came down, circled kind of real slow. So I thought maybe they wanted to talk to me, or ask me for directions. The car went past, went up the hill real slow. It waited for her to get at the top of the hill, I guess so they could see if any cars were coming up or down. And they basically cut it off and pulled her in and I got on my mountain bike, but naturally, I couldn't catch them. My energy was gone after seeing what had happened, so I rode back down the hill. We had a neighbor call 911 after, so they had about a two-minute head start," said Dugard's stepfather Carl Probyn.

Probyn told ABC News that Jaycee now has two children of her own.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office will have a news conference at 3pm today.

Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
Breaking News E-Mail Alerts | Text Message Alerts
More News on abc30.com
Local News | National/World | Weather | Entertainment | Business | Politics | Sports | Health Watch | Consumer Watch | Mr. Food |

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.