Apartment Fire in Central Fresno

FRESNO, Calif. The fire broke out just before 2 p.m. at a complex at Hughes and Dakota in central Fresno.

Fire investigators say the family was cooking something on the stove and when they left the room, the fire spread into the cabinets and eventually through the entire apartment.

It then spread to an unoccupied upstairs unit. Fortunately, everyone was able to make it out safely. "The stove was just on fire, so we tried to turn it off with all the fire extinguishers," one witness who goes by Miguel said.

"It's Easter Sunday. You don't want to see anyone displaced on Easter Sunday, especially because they walked away and left their food cooking. That's just extremely unfortunate," firefighter Chuck Tobias said.

More than 35 firefighters worked to put out the blaze. The Salvation Army is helping the family find a temporary place to stay.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.