- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 pounds beef top round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans ready-to-use beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen vegetable gumbo mix, thawed
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can tomato puree
- In a soup pot, combine chicken, beef, broth, and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover loosely, and simmer 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable gumbo mix and tomato puree. Increase heat to medium-high and return to a boil. Let boil 35 to 40 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.