Makes 6 Servings
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium-sized ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a small cucumber, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh parsley (see Tip)
- In a large bowl, combine the bulgur wheat and water and allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the water is completely absorbed.
- Add the oil, lemon juice, garlic, mint, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss until blended. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
If chopping 2 cups of fresh parsley sounds overwhelming to you, don't let it keep you from making this. A good way to "chop" it without really chopping is to use kitchenshears to simply snip the parsley leaves off the stems into small pieces.