Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 pound store-bought fresh or frozen dough, thawed if frozen
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a 12-inch deep-dish pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook and stir sausage over medium-low heat until no pink remains. Stir in pepper, mushrooms, and basil; reduce heat to low. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, until vegetables are just tender, then drain excess liquid.
- Using your fingertips or the heel of your hand, spread dough so it covers bottom of pan and dough comes three-quarters of the way up the sides. Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Spread sauce evenly over crust and top with sausage mixture then mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust is crisp and brown. Cut and serve.
You can make a milder version of this by using mild sausage. Use a sausage that's got the degree of spiciness your gang enjoys.