- 4 beef cubed steaks (1 to 1-1/4 pounds total), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- In a large resealable bag, marinate the cube steaks in the Worcestershire sauce for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish.
- Dip steaks in flour, coating completely, then in buttermilk and again in the flour.
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1/3 cup of the remaining seasoned flour to the skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and broth, stirring until thickened. Serve gravy over steak.
If you would like a smokier taste, substitute 3 tablespoons bacon drippings for vegetable oil. And you should find masa harina near the cornmeal in your local supermarket; if you'd prefer, you can use fine cornmeal as a substitute.