British man dies from massive dose of caffeine

Coroner said the man consumed a dose equivalent to 70 Red Bulls
FRESNO, California

Medical examiners say the man swallowed two spoonfuls of pure caffeine powder ... that he washed down with an energy drink. That's about the equivalent of seventy Red Bulls. The recommended dose of caffeine powder is just one-sixteenth of a teaspoon.

While no deadly cases have been reported in the U.S. -- Health officials say caffeine overdoses are on the rise because of the wide availability of energy drinks.

Copyright © 2020 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.