Cooking Time: 23 min
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho baking potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potato chunks in a large soup pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Quarter a small onion and add it to the pot along with 10 peeled, whole garlic cloves before bringing the potatoes to a boil; beat with remaining ingredients.
Cheddar Potato Casserole
Beat 1 finely chopped onion along with other ingredients. Coat a 9" x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into casserole dish and sprinkle with 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese; pour 1-1/2 cups heavy cream over top. Bake in a preheated 350°F. oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through and edges are golden.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Prepare mashed potatoes as above, reducing milk to 1/4 cup and salt to 1/2 teaspoon. Add a 16-ounce container of sour cream, 1 cup finely shredded Colby or sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup real bacon bits, and 1 thinly sliced scallion. Beat as directed above.
Green Mashed Potatoes
Prepare mashed potatoes as above then add two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach that have been thawed, drained and squeezed dry. Beat as directed above.