The fire burned down the house Tuesday night on Fountain Way in Central Fresno just blocks from Manchester Center.
Firefighters found the home completely engulfed in flames. Everyone inside was able to escape the fire, but Alexandria Anderson and her 8-year-old son, Nathaniel suffered serious burns.
The mother is still at Community Regional Medical Center in fair condition. The boy has been released from the hospital.
A friend says she was in the garage with friends when they saw smoke coming from inside the home. "My friend ran inside because one of the boys was in the back of the house. So her and her brother ran back in there," said Ramona Najera.
Firefighters say the fire started in the bedroom and spread quickly because of the shake roof. They say there was a smoke detector in the house, but it didn't have batteries.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER