Terry's House was built with donations from the community and those in the building trades. A few are still at work in the kitchen. The 20 private rooms offer refuge during a time of stress and anxiety.
On Tuesday the home officially opened and the first to seek its comforts was Yvonne Frear of Texas. Her husband Phillip, a long distance trucker, was in a terrible accident on the Grapevine last week and brought to the burn center at Community Regional Medical Center.
"His truck, his cab, burst into flames -- in the firery flames -- and he was trapped inside," said Frear.
She and her mother-in-law arrived in Fresno the next day and had not left the hospital until she learned of Terry's House this week.
"If they needed me or if I just want to visit I can just literally run across the street. I just don't' want there to be too much distance with him being there."
Because the refuge is associated with the hospital every guest need not worry about their safety when leaving the hospital by themselves.
"From the area where their family member is being treated they can call security; security will come to the entrance to the hospital and take them in a golf cart and bring this across the street to the back door," said the Manager of Terry's House Denise Goodman.
Terry's House is open; offering peace of mind, a comfortable room and a stress-free place to fall down.
"It's not our home but it's definitely gonna be our home away from home. And it's absolutely beautiful," said Frear.