Volunteers from the American Red Cross went to this apartment complex in Calwa Saturday to help people find shelter for the night.
Firefighters were initially called to the scene for a report of a person with a headache. But when they arrived, they smelled natural gas and called PG&E for assistance.
Crews then discovered multiple leaks in the complex so they shut off the gas
In all, nine units and 40 people, including 19 children, were affected.
"Pretty dangerous. I'm sure everybody is aware of what gas can do, so we're trying to assist these people to a safe place ASAP," Cindy Thomas said.
Some of the apartment residents stayed at area hotels Saturday night.
Firefighters say it's up to the landowner to make the necessary repairs, because it appears the leaks were plumbing related.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER