Carbon monoxide detectors

FRESNO, Calif.

Though the gas is odorless and colorless, a carbon monoxide detector can measure the level of the gas in your home and alert you before it becomes dangerous.

Carbon monoxide detectors look and sound similar to smoke detectors but these warning devices sound the alarm when they detect a high and potentially dangerous level of carbon monoxide in the air.

The gas can be produced by generators, heaters & cooking equipment. Carbon monoxide poisoning happens more commonly in winter months-- when there is less ventilation in the home.

"In the winter-time homeowners tend to use the alternative heating sources or power sources and those all cause carbon monoxide gas," Capt. John Dominguez said.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless making it virtually undetectable.

"Some of the symptoms are you're feeling dizzy, sick to the stomach-- you feel like vomiting, and if you're feeling those symptoms always be safe than sorry-- exit the home to a well--ventilated area and call 911."

Fire Captain John Dominguez recommends you install a carbon monoxide detector outside every sleeping area and each level of your home.

Kevin Seubert, assistant manager at Fresno Ag Hardware-- says sales of the safety devices have gone up. Prices here range from $18 to $44.

"They're easy to install—a lot of them plug in to a 110 outlet. They have batteries in them as a back up-- in case the power goes off, they'll still go off," Seupert said.

         NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
        BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.