"It struck me very hard they had the mother had two children 10 and 8 and I have a 9 and 8 year old. So I can't imagine. All I can do is give my support and love for their mother and their family and that's all you can do," said Oakhurst resident Julie Truelove.
Truelove brought her daughters, to the vigil. One of the girls was a classmate of 10 year old Alexis Montoya. Alexis and her 8 year old sister Jayden, along with their Grandmother, Dianna Montoya who was 60 and Dianna's son, son Bruce Hargett who was 37, died Sunday when exhaust fumes from a gasoline powered generator filled their home with deadly carbon monoxide gas.
The generator had been jury rigged to provide electricity to the house after the power had been turned off because of a billing transfer. But according to Sheriff's Investigators the generator was not properly vented.
The only survivor in the house was the girl's mother, 27-year-old Marina Montoya. She was surrounded by family members and supporters at the vigil.
Her brother in- law Timothy Butler told us the family was dealing with what they see as a tragic accident and have been helped by the community response, "Absolutely phenomenal. This is the most amazing thing I've ever been part of."
Difficult days lie ahead, especially for the young friends and classmates of the girls. Teachers and parents will try to help them understand the loss.
"We're a good community we stand together, operate as a family and handle this as a family," said Robin Ward who was Alexis' fourth grade teacher.
Ward will get some help in her classroom from parents, like Julie Truelove, "Me and some other Moms are going to stay in class and help Mrs. Ward, who we love, and just Be supportive and be there for whatever they need. If they want to talk. If they want to cry."
Funeral arrangements for the family members are pending.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER