Cooking Time: 1 hr 20 min
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage (see Tip)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook and drain lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no pink remains, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks. Drain off excess liquid and set aside in a large bowl to cool slightly. Add 3 cups mozzarella cheese, the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, the egg, basil, and pepper; mix well.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Place 3 noodles over sauce. Sprinkle one-third of cheese mixture over noodles. Pour 1 cup spaghetti sauce over cheese mixture. Place 3 more noodles over the top and press down lightly.
- Repeat with 2 more layers of cheese mixture, sauce, and noodles. Spoon remaining sauce over top and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese over top; return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
For the true meat lover, before baking, add an extra 1/4 pound cooked, crumbled sausage on top with some shredded mozzarella cheese.