Makes about five dozen candies
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops red food color
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat sugar and butter for 2 to 3 minutes, until creamy. Add cream, peppermint extract, and food color; beat for 3 to 4 minutes, until well blended.
- Roll mixture into 1/2-inch balls. Using your thumb, lightly push down the center of each ball to form a wafer; place on a wire rack and allow to dry overnight, uncovered.
- Serve, or transfer to an airtight container until ready to serve.