Cooking Time: 1 hr 40 min
- 2 small onions, cut into quarters, divided
- 1 cup parsley sprigs, washed
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 6 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- Soak a clay cooking pot and lid in water for 10 to 15 minutes (see Note).
- Place half the onion quarters and the parsley in cavity of chicken. Tie the legs together with string and place in pot.
- Evenly sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add wine, if desired, potatoes, carrots, and remaining onion around chicken. Cover pot with lid and place in cold oven.
- Bake at 450ºF. for 90 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Carefully remove lid from pot and continue cooking 10 to 15 more minutes for a crisper chicken.
No clay pot? No problem! Simply use a heavy ceramic baking dish and cover it with foil.