- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter plus extra for coating
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 eggs
- Whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Place a 12-inch square sheet of waxed paper in plate and butter the waxed paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips, 1/2 cup butter, the sugar, water, and coffee granules; heat over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until the chocolate and butter are melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the eggs one at a time until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into waxed-paper-lined pie plate and bake 10 minutes. Cake will not be completely set in the middle. Cool, cover loosely, and chill 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove cake from refrigerator and allow to sit 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a large flat serving dish and remove waxed paper. Top with dollops of whipped cream just before serving.