Baking Time: 30 min
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- FROSTING (see Notes):
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) baking pans with cooking sprayand dust with flour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in water and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl; allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine raisins, dried cranberries, and 1 teaspoon flour; toss until evenly coated then set aside.
- Beat remaining cake ingredients, including 2 cups flour, into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in dried fruit then pour into baking pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on plate and frost top only. Place remaining cake layer on top then frost entire cake.
- You can always substitute canned chocolate butter cream frosting for the homemade to make it a little easier.
- For an extra fancy touch, garnish this with shaved chocolate.