Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cookingspray.
- In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk, bring to a boil, and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add Cheddar cheese and continue stirring until melted. Pour macaroni back into the pot. Add three-fourths of the cheese sauce; mix well.
- Spoon macaroni into baking dish and pour remaining cheese sauce evenly over top.
- In a medium bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in microwave. Stir in crushed crackers; mix until crumbs are evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.