Cooking Time: 20 min
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut in half then into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup water
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and saute until golden and limp, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup then add cinnamon, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Stir in water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
Makes about 2 cups onion sauce (enough for 6 to 8 hot dogs).
This is really great spooned over cooked hot dogs, but try it with other foods, too, and watch how fast they disappear!