Cooking Time: 30 min
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place eggs in a shallow dish and beat lightly. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg then place in bread crumbs and pat crumbs lightly onto both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until hot. Fry eggplant 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden, adding more oil as needed. Remove to platter.
- When finished frying eggplant, discard oil and place 3/4 cup sauce in skillet. Layer with fried eggplant then spoon 3/4 cup sauce over eggplant and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times, finishing with sauce and reserving 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and heat 12 to 15 minutes on medium-low heat. Remove cover and sprinkle with remaining cheese; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.