Officials: Oakland peaceful after night march

FRESNO, Calif.

No reports of arrests or injuries were reported during the march Saturday night, but a window of a police recruiting station was broken. Graffiti during the rally was reported, but "that was probably done by one person out of a thousand," said Shon Kae, a protester who is part of the group's media team.

"That action would not have been vetted by a consensus in any regard," he said.

Organizers said between 50 to 75 tents have been erected at the encampment since authorities allowed protesters to return to the site after it was cleared out earlier in the week. The city was maintaining a "minimal police presence" there, but fire inspectors would be inspecting the Occupy encampment daily, said Sue Piper, a spokeswoman for Oakland Mayor Jean Quan.

Organizers there called for a general strike on Wednesday, with a threat to shut down the Port of Oakland during the night shift. Port officials did not immediately return calls Sunday seeking comment. City officials said they would be able to maintain essential services during a strike.

Across the bay, San Francisco police reported no arrests or disturbances during a march by protesters Saturday afternoon. Elsewhere in California, demonstrators continued their monthlong protest near City Hall in Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles protest has spread north to the San Fernando Valley, where about 20 protesters gathered at Van Nuys Civic Center. They were forced to leave by nightfall when police made good on their promise to remove anyone who violates the property's rules by setting up tents or trespassing after-hours.

Demonstrators had said they would move to nearby streets when police told them to leave but no protesters were seen Sunday.

About 50 miles north of Los Angeles in the mostly rural Antelope Valley, protesters gathered Saturday in Lancaster ahead of a planned long-term encampment that organizer Angel Warner hoped would begin Nov. 5. The group was working on obtaining permits to set up outside Lancaster's city hall.

In San Diego, police broke up a three-week-old encampment early Friday, arresting 51 people.

Copyright © 2021 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.