Flames broke out at the Silvercrest Apartments on Fulton at Amador.
Residents gathered in front of the complex as firefighters worked to limit the damage inside.
Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen of an apartment when a resident made a mistake while cooking.
The facility's sprinkler system stopped the fire before it spread, but the water dripped down from the fourth floor apartment, all the way to the ground floor.
There's some water damage to several units, but no residents were displaced.