These yummy soft cookies with a crunchy almond in the middle are shaped like a coin and supposed to bring good luck. They’ll surely bring you raves.
Yields: 36 cookies
Preparation Time: 10 min
Baking Time: 8 min
- 3/4 cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole shelled almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, combine 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, butter, egg, water, and almond extract; blend well. Gradually add flour, blending on low speed until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly with a glass then evenly sprinkle with sugar; press a whole almond firmly into center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until firm to the touch but not brown. Do not overbake. Immediately remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.