It takes all the work out of this classic, but none of the delicious taste.
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded (12 to 14 cups)
- 1 (14-ounce) can jellied or whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 5 gingersnap cookies, crumbled (about 1/4 cup crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Place half the shredded cabbage in a soup pot then add meatballs. Spread cranberry sauce over meatballs, sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs and lemon juice then add remaining cabbage. Pour spaghetti sauce over mixture. Do not stir!
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir gently, being careful not to break up meatballs. Simmer an additional 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.