Central Fresno family barely escapes fire

FRESNO, Calif.

Damage to the home is severe. After putting the fire out, officials say there wasn't one working smoke detector in the home.

A young man inside woke up in the middle of the night just to get a drink of water. It turns out, that random act helped saved Alphonso Guzman and his family's lives. "At first I was trying to go back to sleep I think it was a random smell. And then I went to the back and I saw the fire and I like woke up my parents. I just ran to my dad and my mom, knocked on the door and just woke them up and all that."

"Those smoke detectors right now you know -- it's the price of a Happy Meal perhaps at McDonalds. You can save your whole family," said Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Tony Escobedo.

Firefighters say the fire started in the attic, but they aren't sure what started it.

Out of the eight people to have been displaced from this fire, one of Alphonso's step-siblings requires a wheelchair to get around and another is also disabled. If he didn't wake up, it could have been a catastrophic event.

Firefighters also responded to a house fire right next door at this time last year that resulted in some serious injuries.

No one was hurt in the fire, but the incident serves as a reminder to make sure you have a working smoke detector in your home.

Copyright © 2020 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.