Oakhurst comes together after carbon monoxide deaths

OAKHURST, Calif.

                  |   Watch Video Above for Extended Coverage   |

Ten year old Alexis Montoya, her eight year old sister Jayden, their grandmother Diana, and their uncle, Bruce Hargett all died from carbon monoxide poisoning last January.

Now First Alert is donating enough carbon monoxide alarms for every student at Oakhurst Elementary School, and 250 more for Calfire to give away at local stations.

During an assembly Friday, firefighters taught the kids to leave their house and call 9-1-1 if the alarm goes off. The students also heard from a woman who nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"You don't know if any everyday appliance like your stove, your dryer, the flew in your fireplace is clogged," said Elizabeth Bryan. "There are so many multiple sources of potential danger where carbon monoxide can be coming out and hurting your family."

The detectors are now required by law in all California homes.

Copyright © 2019 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved.